Cake Decorating

Thursday, January 13, 2011

I had an opportunity last night to teach a little cake decorating class to some young women. We had such a fun time. I promised the girls that I would post some recipes that I used and some pictures.  I have never been trained as a cake decorator. I am pretty much self taught. With that being said, I don't think that you would be too surprised by that. I truly believe that the key to making great cakes is to PRACTICE!! Make lots of cake. Your family and friends will love it! Just see what works for you. It's a fun learning process. Here are some tips that I have come across.

Tip: 1 Make and freeze the cake the day before you will be decorating it. This is specific to two layered cakes. Cook them and then when cooled wrap them really good in plastic wrap. Lay them flat in your freezer.

Tip: 2 I have mentioned this before in a post. The best filling ever for a cake is very simple. You find a small package of instant pudding and mix it with heavy whipping cream and voila!! You have the best filling ever.

I am sure there are more tips, I just can't think of them right now. One of my favorite things about cake is the frosting. Here is the best buttercream!!

Buttercream Frosting


3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup of room temperature butter (no substitutions)
1 tsp. vanilla
3-4 Tbsp. milk


Mix the first three ingredients until well blended. Then add milk. Mix in mixer for around a minute or two for a nice and fluffy consistency. 





Another really fun cake decorating trick is fondant. I love using fondant it is labor intensive, but really fun to do. One thing that I am a true fan of is not reinventing the wheel. So I found this great video on you tube on how to make fondant. Rather than me doing this, here it is. 








Share with me, your favorite cakes, and decorating tips!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Get Me A Fork Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino