Chicken and Dumplings

Thursday, January 20, 2011




I know that my last post I claimed to be trying to loose weight. This is still true. This doesn't mean that I don't love me some good comfort food! Especially when I have sick kids at home and I am so done with the cold weather. So, I decided to make some great Chicken and Dumplings. I found this recipe on Our Best Bites. It is super easy and tastes so good. So if you are trying to loose weight just exercise portion control and then maybe hit the treadmill for 15 minutes. This is a winner.


Chicken and Dumplings
Recipe by Our Best Bites

6 cups chicken broth (1 1/2 boxes or 3 cans) OR 6 c. water + 6 chicken bouillon cubes
1 lb. cooked chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces (I use 1/2 of a fauxtisserie chicken and it's FABULOUS! You could also use leftover rotisserie chicken from the grocery store)
1 c. sliced carrots
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 onion, minced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 bay leaf
1 handful of chopped fresh parsley (or 1 Tbsp. dried parsley)
1/2 tsp. basil
1 14-oz. can evaporated milk (fat free is fine)
1 recipe of Bisquik dumplings (recipe is on the box) or 1 small package of Kluski noodles


In a large pot, heat some olive oil over medium heat and add onions and garlic. Saute for a few minutes and then add chicken broth, chicken, bay leaf, and basil. Bring to a boil. Add carrots and celery and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook until carrots and celery are tender. When carrots and celery are almost done, add chopped parsley. Add evaporated milk. Increase heat to boiling and add noodles or add prepared Bisquik by small spoonfuls (they'll really puff up while they're cooking). Cook until noodles are tender or until dumplings are cooked through (they should appear moist but feel firm; this is after about 4-5 minutes).


Amanda's Dumplings 
 I use these as my dumplings! Super yummy. 


6 Tbsp shortening
3 cups flour
2 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup milk


Cut shortening into flour, parsley, baking powder, and salt. Do this until it resembles coarse meal. Then stir in milk.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Get Me A Fork Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino